A really simple recipe that takes around thirty minutes to prepare, this recipe is much loved in the Veneto but it is also common elsewhere in Italy.
Almonds are often not added in the Veneto (for more on this region click here) but I would suggest you use them if possible. In my opinion they make the recipe that much tastier.
1/2 cup of orange juice
1 cup of sugar
2 1/2 sticks of butter, melted
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tsp. of vanilla extract
3 3/4 cups of flour
2 tbsp. of baking powder
• In a large bowl, beat the eggs together with the orange juice, and the sugar.
• Add in the butter and beat it all together well then add in the salt, the flour and the baking powder, mix it all together with a wooden spoon (it is very important that it is wooden).
• Stir in the vanilla extract and then the chopped almonds.
• Shape the dough into two separate rectangles and place them on a well greased cookie sheet.
• Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F until they begin to turn golden (it should take about 15 minutes). Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool.
• Cut the cookies into 1/2 inch thick pieces and then cook them again at 450 degrees F but only for as long as it takes for them to turn a golden brown.