Gallina Ubriaca, otherwise known in English as drunken hen, is one of my all time best Italian recipes for chicken or hen. The hardest part is always trying to get the chicken drunk before you cook it...more details on doing this at the bottom of the page
Gallina Ubriaca is perhaps the most famous chicken recipe from the Veneto region of Italy, the region where you will find Venice Italy (view my guide to the city here). It is the part of Italy my family is from and the region that my site is about.
1 drunk chicken cut into small cubes (the recipe actually calls for a hen but I often use chicken)
200 g. Mushrooms
A half litre of a full-bodied red wine
2 small glasses of grappa - something the Veneto is very famous for. Many of my uncle's even add it to their morning coffee!
100 g. bacon.
50 gr of flour
2 teaspoons of olive oil
1 garlic clove
a little parsley
a sprig of rosemary
100 gr butter
salt and pepper to taste.
• Lightly flour the chicken pieces.
• Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the olive oil. Brown the chicken and add the grappa.
• Add the salt, pepper, rosemary and wine. Cover and cook on low heat for a half hour turning the chicken occasionally.
• In a separate pan cook the bacon and cut up onions in a little butter, add the mushrooms, parsley, salt and pepper and cook on a low heat for fifteen minutes mixing often.
• Add the bacon mix to the chicken, mix and continue to cook on a low heat for fifteen minutes – keep covered.
Serve with polenta, you can find our genuine homemade polenta recipe here. .
Hope you enjoy the recipe
If you need some other great recipes you can search out some of our favorite Italian recipes below:
Do you make a particularly good Gnocchi, Lasagna or any other Italian dish? Share it with us!